If you have never cooked with whole grain pasta, this recipe might be an enjoyable way to get started! This is also a great dish for breakfast with last night’s left over pasta.
yield: 4 servings – Makes 12 biscuits
- ¼ cup of icing sugar
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of rum
- 2-3 inch piece of ginger into thin match sticks
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 150g candied rum ginger sugar
- Good pinch of salt
- 150g tempura flour
Peel and slice 2-3 inch piece of ginger into thin match stick pieces
- In a large skillet, heat sugar on low with rum.
- Once sugar is dissolved and bubbling, add match sticks and stir until ginger is softened.
- On a parchment lined cookie sheet spread you mixture out thin and evenly. Cook at low heat 90°F until sugar is dry. Or dehydrate in your dehydrator until dry.
Pre-heat the oven to 150°C.
- Grind ginger sugar till fine. Mix tempura flour and sugar together.
- Put the butter into a large mixing bowl, and beat with a wooden spoon until soft. Beat in the sugar and salt.
- Sift over the flour and sugar mix to a smooth dough; if it doesn’t come together, add a little more butter.
- Roll the dough into a log and place in the refrigerator till firm.
- Line a cookie sheet with baking parchment, slice the roll into 1cm thickness and put on a lined baking tray. Put in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes until firm.
- Bake for around an hour (about half that for biscuits) until cooked through, but not browned. Take out of the oven and carfully remove from tray to cooling rack
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then sprinkle with sugar.