Basic Stock Recipe
Most of your favourite soup, sauce and stew recipes call for some sort of stock. So you go out and buy a can or box of packaged stock. not only does this make your dish taste like it came from a can,but it un-does all the time you took making your dish nutritious. Here is a simple way to make a stock that will suit any dish.
You Will Need
- large stock pot with lid
- kitchen twine
- cheese cloth
- chicken or beef bones ( opt out if making veggie stock)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped white onion
- 2 cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves 1 tablespoons of whole pepper corns
- 2 sage leaves
- 3 whole green cardamom pods
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheitght
- Remove any meat from bones and set aside to put in stock later on.
- On a large cookie sheet roast the bones until they have browned and a fragrant
- Wrap your herbs and spices in a cheese cloth bundle and tie it with a piece of kitchen twine
- Put the bones, vegetables and spice pouch on the pot and cover with water
- Bring the stock up to a boil and the reduce for a simmer for 1 hour.
- Cool the stock, strain through the remaining cheese cloth and jar or bag for future use.